McAnulty College and Graduate School of Liberal Arts
Progressivism, Urban History, Urban Reform, Women's History
The Civic Club of Allegheny County was an organization created in the Progressive era that confronted urban issues that plagued early twentieth century Pittsburgh. Although the club's origins were part of a long tradition of women's reform groups, this organization was a mixed-gender organization, different than most cities in the United States. The membership and leadership of the organization shifted from the active, club female to the professional male. Professionalism appealed to the members of the Civic Club because it limited decision-making to those who possessed certain qualifications. This belief helped facilitate the shift, as professionals became important to both men and women in the Civic Club. A shift in reforms resulted in this change, from reforms that centered on children and environment to those that dealt with the infrastructure and the structure of government in the city.
Gallogly, A. (2010). A Higher Public Spirit and a Better Social Order: The Civic Club of Allegheny County, 1895-1930 (Master's thesis, Duquesne University). Retrieved from https://dsc.duq.edu/etd/564