Title

Retrospective Analysis of Medication Utilization and Clinical Outcomes in Patients With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Treated With Nintedanib or Pirfenidone

DOI

10.1177/1179548419834922

Document Type

Journal Article

Publication Date

3-1-2019

Publication Title

Clinical Medicine Insights: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine

Volume

13

Keywords

idiopathic, nintedanib, pirfenidone, pulmonary, respiratory

Abstract

Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a chronic, progressive lung disease which results in thickening and scarring of the interstitial tissue. As the only 2 Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved medications on the market, it is valuable to compare the impact of nintedanib and pirfenidone on clinical outcomes. Records of patients who started nintedanib or pirfenidone between calendar years 2015 and 2016 at a national specialty pharmacy were retrospectively reviewed. Data collection was derived from patient management applications and statistical data analysis was completed in SAS (SAS Institute Inc®). The nintedanib population contained 2605 patients and of the population completing clinical assessment surveys (n = 1343), 46% of respondents (n = 612) reported no adverse events, with the remaining 54% reporting at least 1 adverse event. Average proportion of days covered (PDC) was 84.2% (SD = 17.0). Average final monthly copay for this group was $235. The pirfenidone population had 1322 patients, and of the surveyed population (n = 764), 58% of respondents (n = 445) reported no adverse events, with the remaining 42% reporting at least 1 adverse event. Average PDC was 83.4% (SD = 17.3). Average final monthly copay for this group was $339. Outcomes in the studied IPF population were similar for nintedanib and pirfenidone.

Open Access

Gold

Share

COinS